Thursday, May 14, 2009

RFTW 2009 Day Two Albert Lea, MN to Emporia, KS

500 miles today. 38 degrees and windy when I left Albert Lea at 8:40am. About 10 minutes on the road I was wishin I had stayed and had some more coffee. I had on long johns, wool socks, jeans, chaps, sweatshirt, jacket, vest, gloves and stocking hat and was still freezing. At Ankeny, Iowa I could see blue skies ahead and the hope of warmer temps. 10 miles later I was approaching Des Moines and the blue skies. It started to warm and when I stopped to gas up it was 60. After a couple of cups of coffee I warmed up and headed for Kansas City. Hit KC at 2:40pm and missed rush hour . . . yipee . . . and it was 70 degrees. It was a great ride to Emporia, Kansas where I stopped for the day at 4:30 and it was 75. I am headed for Oklahoma tomorrow. Weather forecast mid 80's and thunderstorms and tornado watches for OK City and surrounding areas. Maybe I'll see Tornado Bob...in fact I think he may have passed me today. A car with MN plates passed me at Iowa/Missouri border with a contraption on the roof with a propeller on it. I have plenty of time to get to Texas so I might delay in OK and see a friend from high school. Glad I'm not in Minnesota anymore. It was 28 degrees this morning in Grand Rapids and it snowed. Also snow predicted for Saturday. I hope to be in TX and riding in a
t-shirt. Stay tuned

No comments: