Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Red Neck Blue Collar Power Hour

All you hard workin red neck (is redneck one or two words?) blue collar bro's and sis's have your own special show this Friday April 4 On The River with DJtheDJ starting at 09:00. Back in BC (Before College) and BA (Before Army) I did my time at many blue collar jobs from auto assembly line (50 cars per hour), meat packer (more about this later), construction worker, warehouse worker, heavy equipment operator, farm laborer and building laminated rafters for barns, but the worse job ever was working in that meat packing plant BREAKING BEEF JAWS. You stood at an elevated stainless table and it was about 40 degrees and very humid. There was a big chute down which came the heads of the slaughtered beef and the job was to sever the jaw muscles and pull the jaws from the skull (they were skun) and pass them onto people who cut off the meat and tongue. Then the skulls were split and the brains were removed (pre Mad Cow dayz) and shipped to Japan mostly. I severed those muscles with a sharpening steel and pulled them apart all day long and my fingers were curled so that I couldn't straighten them out for weeks. That was on a good day. Every once in awhile there would be mostly milk cows slaughtered. Beef are raised for a few months, being fed easy to chew food. Milk cows lived a long time and they had been chewing their cuds for years and had very well developed jaw muscles (Arnold Cows). I hated those days because they were so hard to separate and I was always behind. So one day I went to the foreman and said I can't keep up on this job and he said do your best, no one else will do that job (it was unionized) and I was a (I didn't know it at the time) red neck blue collar workin man. That was the worst job ever! Second worse job, auto assembly line worker doin the same thing 50 times an hour for 8 hours 4-12 Mon-Fri night....mind killing work to me. Well, Unkle Sam came along and offered me a career opportunity as a combat engineer for two years and I couldn't refuse so I earned a degree at the U of South Vietnam, I think it was a BS. The good news I got the GI Bill and went to college. Thanks to all you hard workin red neck blue collar guyz and galz.....you keep this country going...God Bless You All....post your worst job story and we will read it on the air and give a free cd to the best story. No embellishing please. See you on the radio for the Red Neck Blue Collar Power Hour featuring requests from you including The Hag, Johnny, Hank 1, 2 & 3, Rodney Atkins, and Luke Bryan Friday April 4 during On the River with DJtheDJ.



Stay tuned............................................

1 comment:

kimball said...

I worked for the school ditrict in Lead SD in 1971, and was given the job of chipping lime deposits from the inside of an 8' diameter x 15' long boiler, using a 5# hammer and a chisel. At 16 years old I knew just about everything, and I knew this was a BS job-I could see no useful purpose based on my several hours of experience with a boiler system. When my fellow inmate and I crawled in it was like a submarine, but without any of the cool dials and certainly no periscope. The lime was at least an inch thick, and we could get maybe an arrowhead's worth per whack-we had roughly 17 years of steady whacking to finish the job. Adding injury to insult was the was the boiler rung like a bell when we started in. The boss could tell from anywhere in the school whether or not we were working, just by listening for the genteel peal of steel on lime on steel. I can't now remember how long that lasted, or how the job turned out.